Psst... hey you! This is a pro tip for mobile SuperBetter players: if you've never checked out the online version, you're missing some of our most powerful features! You've got a Secret Lab online, bonus ally features, and more. Be sure to log in at www.superbetter.com to get even more of the SuperBetter experience.
- What is SuperBetter?
- Who is SuperBetter for?
- What are the benefits of playing SuperBetter?
- How can I learn more about the science of SuperBetter?
- Is the game available in other languages?
- Is the app available for my mobile device?
- Are the features the same on the mobile app as they are on the website?
Playing the Game
- What does it mean to “play” SuperBetter?
- What's the minimum I should do each day to get SuperBetter?
- How do I win SuperBetter?
- How can I keep a positive attitude and stick with it?
- Why aren’t all of my Quests being counted in my To Do when I complete them?
- Why does my Current Resilience go down sometimes?
- How do I remove a Power Pack?
- How will I know that I'm really getting better?
- What is an Ally?
- How should I pick my Allies?
- I received an Ally invitation via email, but it’s not there when I log in. What happened?
- How can I become an Ally for someone else?
- What should I do as an Ally?
- I started as an Ally. Can I play SuperBetter for myself, too?
- How do I remove an Ally?
Accounts & Privacy
- How private are the things I do in SuperBetter?
- How do you use the Facebook connection?
- How do I close my account?
- Does SuperBetter cost anything?
- How do I unsubscribe from emails?
What is SuperBetter?
SuperBetter is a tool created by game designers and backed by science. Playing SuperBetter helps build personal resilience: the ability to stay strong, motivated, and optimistic even in the face of difficult challenges. Resilience has a powerful effect on health—by boosting physical and emotional well-being. Resilience also helps you achieve your life goals—by strengthening your social support and increasing your stamina, willpower, and focus.
Every aspect of the game is designed to harness the power of positive emotions and social connection to help you improve your life.Back to Top
Who is SuperBetter for?
SuperBetter is for people who want more out of life—who want to feel happier, healthier, and more able to reach their goals. SuperBetter was designed with universal psychological research—meaning anyone can benefit from playing, regardless of age, gender, or location! Anyone over the age of 13 can create an account at SuperBetter.Back to Top
What are the benefits of playing SuperBetter?
SuperBetter makes you stronger. It helps you build social, mental, and emotional resilience in the face of any illness, injury, or health goal. Building resilience—the ability to stay optimistic, curious, motivated, and connected to others even in the face of an extreme challenge—has been scientifically proven to improve health outcomes of all kinds. Playing SuperBetter makes you more capable of getting through any tough situation—and more likely to achieve the goals that matter most to you.Back to Top
How can I learn about the science of SuperBetter?
As you play SuperBetter, you'll find science icons hidden throughout your missions. Clicking these icons gives you access to the science of SuperBetter—including links to the research articles that everything's based on.
You can see an overview of the science behind SuperBetter at ShowMeTheScience.com.Back to Top
Is the game available in other languages?
We’re not ready to support translation into multiple languages, but it’s something we'd like to offer in the future.Back to Top
Is the app available for my mobile device?Back to Top
Are the features the same on the mobile app as they are on the website?
The mobile app is a companion to the website, not a full version of it. Some features (like your Secret Lab and your Ally dashboard) are only available on the website version. If you've only played on your phone, you can log in to your account at www.superbetter.com to discover even more ways to get SuperBetter!Back to Top
What does it mean to “play” SuperBetter?
SuperBetter is a game you play in your real life—we just help you keep track of it. You can sign up and tell us what challenge you’re trying to tackle, and we’ll recommend Power-ups to help you feel better, Bad Guys to watch out for, and Quests you can do to get closer to your goals. Each time you complete a Quest, activate a Power-up, or battle a Bad Guy, just log into SuperBetter and push the “I DID THIS!” button to record your action. This will increase your personal resilience in real life and also move you forward in the tool.Back to Top
What's the minimum I should do each day to get SuperBetter?
Doing any number of activities each day will reap benefits! To get the most out of SuperBetter, we recommend a "Daily Dose":
- Activate 3 Power-ups
- Battle 1 Bad Guy
- Complete 3 Quests on your To Do list
Your To Do list will automatically keep track of everything you do, so you'll know when your Daily Dose is complete. If you have more time, check in with an Ally, do more Quests, or update the Trackers in your Secret Lab!Back to Top
How do I win SuperBetter?
You win SuperBetter by achieving your Epic Win, a real-life goal you set for yourself. When you achieve your Epic Win, you can choose a new goal and start again!
SuperBetter is like life. It's a process, not an outcome. We think that you win every day you show up, face your challenges, and keep aiming for your goals.Back to Top
How can I keep a positive attitude and stick with it?
If you're struggling to keep a "never give up" attitude, here are some tips that might help you along:
- Focus less on outcomes and goals and more on tiny steps that feel good in the moment.
- Enlist plenty of positive social support. This is hands down the best thing any of us can do to improve our health and attitude towards our health.
- Accept that some days will be easy and others will be hard. It's normal and okay. Having a down day (or week even) doesn't mean you're doing anything "wrong." Just keep playing!
- Know that sometimes it takes hard work, grit, and determination to transform our challenges. Other times all we can do is witness our situation with neutral attention. Experiment with what works best for you.
- Be sure that when you do choose a goal, you're choosing something that is a stretch but still realistic and attainable. Start small!
- And most importantly—be good to yourself. Celebrate even tiny successes.
Why aren’t all of my Quests being counted in my To Do when I complete them?
To Do list counter only tracks Quests that are on your To Do list. If you completed Quests that weren’t on your To Do, good for you! Your Resilience Score will still go up and you’ll still be getting stronger, but your To Do counter will not reflect those efforts.
If your To Do list isn't showing enough items (or the right items), you can edit how your Quests are displayed on your To Do list. Just go to your full list of Quests, pick one you want to change, click "View," and then click "Edit." The next screen will give you options to change when Quests are scheduled to appear on your To Do.Back to Top
Why does my Current Resilience go down sometimes?
Your Current Resilience score reflects your daily activity, and goes up and down depending on how you play the game. You can compare it with your Peak Resilience, which is the highest your score has ever been at one time. Things you can do to maximize your Resilience include logging every day, completing Quests, battling Bad Guys, activating Power-ups, and completing the Trackers in your Secret Lab. (Note for mobile app users: your Secret Lab is only available on our full website version at SuperBetter.com.)
Back to Top
How do I remove a Power Pack?
If you’ve decided you no longer want to keep a Power Pack in your game, here’s how you can remove it from view:
1) Go to the Power Packs page and click the "My Power Packs".
2) Click the "View" button next to the power pack you'd like to remove.
3) Click "Remove" on the next screen.
On the mobile app...
1) Go to your HQ and click “Power Packs.”
2) Find the Power Pack you wish to remove under the “My Power Packs” heading, and click on it.
3) On the next screen, click the “Delete” button in the upper-right corner.
How will I know I'm really getting Better?
In addition to what you notice in your everyday life — feeling stronger, happier, and more connected — you can track your progress with the SuperBetter and Well-Being Trackers in your Secret Lab (only available on the website version). These short surveys are based on scientific measures that assess everything from curiosity, hope, and gratitude to determination, progress toward goals, and post-traumatic growth. The higher your scores measure, the more you're building up your capacity to surmount any obstacle and achieve any goal.Back to Top
What is an Ally?
An Ally is someone you invite to view your progress and support your journey to getting SuperBetter. Your Allies can leave comments on your Activity Wall, offer recommendations, and reward your successes.
Studies show that sharing positive social connection with another person is one of the best things we can do to boost our mental, physical, and emotional health. That's why we've made Allies such a big part of playing SuperBetter.
How should I pick my Allies?
Which of your friends can you really be yourself around? Who would you like to get closer to? Whose voice do you want to hear cheering wildly for you as you reach that extra inch toward your goal? These are the people you should consider inviting to be your SuperBetter Allies.
You may also want to check out our SuperBetter Community Group on Facebook. Here you can post a message describing your challenge and your Epic Win, and ask for virtual Allies — other players in the game who would like to support you along the way.Back to Top
I received an Ally invitation via email, but it’s not there when I log in. What happened?
This can happen when people have multiple email addresses. Check to see what email you’re using for your SuperBetter account (it’s in your profile settings), and then check to see what email your friend sent the invitation to. If they’re different, ask your friend to send an invitation to the correct address.Back to Top
How can I become an Ally for someone else?
Science shows the health benefits of support go both ways. This means that being an Ally to someone else helps you get stronger. That’s right—by supporting someone else’s dreams and goals you also support your own. But please take note: while the health benefits automatically go both ways, SuperBetter Ally status does not. You can invite someone to be your Ally using the Ally form. But if you want to be someone else's Ally, they have to invite you. All you have to do is ask!Back to Top
What should I do as an Ally?
There are many things you can do as an Ally to help your Hero. To get started, toggle over to your Ally page by clicking the “Ally” button at the top of the page on our full website version. The To Do list on the right hand side of the screen offers five interactive ways to champion your Heroes while enjoying free points and mood boosts at the same time. You can suggest a check-in with your Hero, suggest a Quest, leave positive comments, “like” the actions they’ve taken, and award your Hero an achievement. The most important thing is to just keep showing up. Each of these actions will help increase your Ally Skills points—so stay involved!Back to Top
I started as an Ally. Can I play SuperBetter for myself, too?
Definitely! Just click on the “YOU” menu in the upper left when you're logged in and select “Create my own Secret Headquarters.” This lets you start your own heroic SuperBetter journey to overcome an injury or illness or achieve a health goal.
How do I remove an Ally?
You can allways remove an ally for any reason. Here's how:
If you’ve decided you no longer want to keep a Power Pack in your game, here’s how you can remove it from view:
1) Go to the ALLIES page and click the name of the Ally you want to remove.
2) Click "Delete" under the blue "Checked In" button.
3) A confirmation box will open asking if you are sure. Click "OK."
On the mobile app...
1) Go to your HQ and click “ALLIES."
2) Find the name of the Ally you wish to remove and click on it
3) On the next screen, click the “Delete” button in the upper-right corner, and then click "OK" on the confirmation box that opens to ask if you are sure.
Accounts and Privacy
How private are the things I do in SuperBetter?
Anything you do or post within SuperBetter is Private to the outside world (e.g., Google won't find it). Your Allies, however, can see all of your content and activity- their role is to watch your progress and cheer you on! Allies can't see what's inside your Secret Lab-a feature that's only available on our websiter version at SuperBetter.com.
Be aware that the SuperBetter Community Group on Facebook is public. Take care when publishing under your real name.Back to Top
How do you use the Facebook Connection?
The Facebbok buttons you see around SuperBetter are optional, and only there to make logging in and finding people easier. We don't post anything to Facebook (or Twitter, for that matter) without you asking us to. You'll see opportunities to post to Facebook or Twitter when you complete Quests, and next to each item on your Activity page.
You can also find and invite Allies using Facebook.Back to Top
How do I close my account?
To delete your account, simply log in to our website at SuperBetter.com and go to your profile at SuperBetter.com/account. There you'll see a "delete" link right under the "edit" link. Clicking delte will remove your account permanently.
Does SuperBetter cost anything?
No, we make this version of SuperBetter available for free to anyone around the world. You can use the web-based version, or download the free mobil version of the game in the App and Android stores. There are no additional in-game purchases or fees.
How do I unsubscribe from emails?
If you'd like to unsubscribe from our emails, here's what you need to do:
1) Go to SuperBetter.com/account
2) Click "Edit"
3) Uncheck the box that reads, "I want to receive SuperBetter emails." and click "Save."
If you have the mobile app, you can find this setting under Profile -> Account. Just click edit there, select "No" under emails, and you'll be all set.